Monday, 1 December 2014

Transition | Completed!




Heyy guys!
Hope you're well. I know... very long time no post, eh! I can't believe the last time I blogged was in May! Very naughty of me, I know! Things have been very busy my end and so blogging had to be put to the side, unfortunately. I don't want to say that I'll be back to regular blogging just yet, but I do have a few updates to share with you, the first being my transition chop! :D

So, I transition-chopped back in August at 2 years 2 months post relaxer. The pictures above were taken in October. Oh and please excuse my creased top and pj bottoms.

So just to give a bit of background to any new readers or those who may not know, I had been relaxed more or less my whole life. My mum relaxed my hair at a very young age and so the only memories I have of my natural hair are gained through looking at baby photos. During my time at University I decided to start looking after my hair after some shedding and breakage as a result of a weave install I had. This was around the time I started this blog, and I began to document my hair journey in a number of blog posts. Then, around a year later I decided to stop relaxing altogether and begin transitioning to natural. To read why, feel free to read the blog post explaining all here.

My transition chop happened fairly quickly, to be honest with you. I had just taken out my braids and just decided to snip before going to bed. As I had mentioned in previous updates, I had cut a fair amount of my relaxed ends off already, so there really wasn't much left to do. Surprisingly, my transition chop wasn't as emotional as I thought it would be. There was no crying, but a lot of touching of the hair, prolonged stares into the mirror and over-exaggerated hair tosses...dont judge me... I couldn't get over how light and bouncy my hair was lol. The next morning I washed my hair. My first hair washing with completely natural hair. It was a delight not having to be extra cautious and wary of breakage. I love how my hair feels when wet. Although I had been transitioning for two years, the texture still felt alien to me.

I have to say, I don't regret my decision to go natural at all! I love the versatility, the thickness, the softness, and the health of my natural hair, and I'm excited to begin this new 'journey'.
When I did the big snip, I noticed a few days later that my hair looked a bit choppy. This is something I touched upon in my previous update. You can probably tell from the last photo that the twists seem to be shorter at the front. It's more noticeable (to me) when my hair is down, but it all seems to be the same length when up in a puff. This is something I'll be monitoring going forward, and I'll be sure to update you on this. As mentioned in my last post, I don't think this is a result of over-cutting as, believe me, I'm very careful when scissors come anywhere near my hair. It may just be how my hair grows, but I have plenty of time to get acquainted with my natural hair and it's growth rate(s) now that I am not relaxing anymore.

The amount of products I use has definitely decreased. I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible.My favourite moisturiser has definitely been the Curl Enhancing Smoothie by Shea Moisture. It has helped dry hair days immensely. I love teaming it up with Shea butter to seal in the moisture. I may do a full blog post on my hair regime shortly.

So currently my hair is back in braids. I thought I might as well continue protective styling to the end of the year. But anyway, what about you all? How's your hair doing? Any newly naturals around like myself? Let me know!

Take care.

6 comments:

  1. Your hair looks gorgeous Rebecca. Congrats on completing your transition x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lesley :)
      Hope you're well x

      Delete
  2. Congrats on completing your transition. Your hair is lovely and so thick! My hair grows at different rates around my head also. A benefit of having a longer back is that you'll have no issues with updo's.

    ReplyDelete

Hey guys! Thank you in advance for your comments and feedback :) I always reply, so be sure to check back regularly for my responses :) Take Care.x

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...