Monday, 20 January 2014

Why S-Curl, Why?!

Heyy guys!
So back in October I innocently went to repurchase S-Curl. As it's my staple hair moisturiser I didn't hold back and I ordered the largest size. When it arrived I was greeted by the new formula. I first heard about Luster's changing the formula of S-Curl through Sunshine's blog, Hairlicious Inc, about a year ago, but with the UK being behind on everything I for some reason didn't think the changes would hit here any time soon. Also on Paks (where I ordered it) they had no updated image or information about this change, so yes I had a whopping 946ml of the new formula arrive at my door. That'll teach me for ordering online instead of going to an actual shop. I think that beauty bloggers and hair care lovers alike can probably relate when I say that when a company tends to change a formula it can go one of two ways; either really good or really really bad.


So what are the differences? As shown above, the new formula has the addition of argan oil, olive oil, fruit oils and lots of unpronounceable and rather baffling chemicals such as DMDM Hydantoin, Benzyl Benzoate, Linalool and Aplha- Isomethyl Ionone. On the plus side it still contains no mineral oil or petroleum and the new formula sees the removal of parabens.

As apprehensive as I was, I thought I'd still give it a go as I hate wasting things (I'm still sobbing inside over 946ml of a product/new formula I've never used before). I have to say I don't think I'm a fan of the new formula, which is sooo disappointing just as I thought I'd found my staple moisturiser. I'm not really a fan of strong, verging on sickly, fruity smells. Beautiful Textures deep conditioner is probably my only exception. That's the one thing I liked about the original formula- it didn't really have a smell, or at least one that lingered.
The consistency of the product seems to be exactly the same but another thing I found disappointing is the packaging and the removal of the spray top. I loved this feature on the old packaging as I was able to limit how much I used on my hair. Two pumps seemed to be enough for me. Any more and my hair just felt coated. I found that with the new bottle, which has a press lid top, I would involuntarily squeeze too much out, creating wastage. Also because of the design of the bottle I couldn't transfer my old spray top to the new one. I feel like I'm being really picky but when your routine is messed up it can be slightly annoying lol. I hope someone can relate to this with me?
I tried to use this product a lot when my hair was out for that month in between braids and it did save me from one or two dry hair days, but there were other days I would use it at night and my hair would be soo dry in the morning, which is something I don't often experience. I never have to m&s both morning and night but I found myself having to do that a lot. Though I don't know whether to blame it on S-Curl, or the weather or even my styling.

I'm going to hang on to this bottle and see how it works out in summer but for now it seems I may be on the hunt for a new staple moisturiser. As I mentioned in my previous posts, I've done a lot of haulin' and so I have a few competitors but I haven't found one that's taken the title... yet. If you guys have any suggestions/ would like to share your faves then feel free! Also has this happened to you? Has one of your favourite products had a redesign and totally changed the formula. If so was it a good move or bad move? I'd love to read your experiences.
Take Care.

5 comments:

  1. Ugh! I hate it when that happens!

    As far as the dispenser, you can try to find a pump top that fits at the beauty supply store or online.

    My go to leave in as been Jessicurl Too Shea. I think that it's available in the UK too.

    KLP | SavingOurStrands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the suggestion and recommendation! :) Yep, I've heard of Jessicurl but have never tried any of their products. I'll have to see if I can get my hands on some sample sizes

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I previously done a post on this. The only difference that I notice is the smell. I hate the 'new fragrance'. I can't tell the difference with the product otherwise but I have read others say they weren't a fan. Good luck with finding a new moisturiser. With regards to the lid, have you tried pouring the new formula into the old bottle? That way you can use the pump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeaa looking back now I don't know why I didn't do that lol. Ah well, I've thrown the old bottle away now. I think I might just try and find a new pump for when I decide to try it out again.

      Delete

Hey guys! Thank you in advance for your comments and feedback :) I always reply, so be sure to check back regularly for my responses :) Take Care.x

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...