Monday, 22 July 2013

Transition | 12 Months post!

Heyy guys!
I frickin' made it to 12 months post!! My last relaxer was 26th June 2012, meaning I'll actually be 13 months post on Friday woop woop! This post has been sitting in my drafts for a few weeks now so I thought i'd better get it out as I'm almost a month late. 
As I mentioned in my last post, I wanted to take out my braids in time for my one year anni so that I could see for myself what one year of hair growth amounted to (plus those braids needed to come out!). As usual, I have included some snaps of my new growth and I thought I'd add in some comparison pictures from various months of my transition so far. If you are on a 'hair journey' yourself I highly recommend taking pictures of your hair at the beginning and throughout. It's not until you look back on the images that you realise just how much progress you've made.

Before we get into the update I'll briefly list what I did when taking out my braids for those interested.
Hot Oil Treatment with Tropic Isle Living Strong Roots Red Pimento Oil 
Clarified with ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo
Deep Conditioned with Beautiful Textures Rapid Repair DC + Hair Therapy Wrap
(Yes, I gave in and bought a heating cap lol. A review will be coming soon!)
Detangled with Mane 'n' Tail Detangler + Cantu Shea Butter Leave-in
Moisturised and Sealed with S-Curl No Drip + Coconut Oil

When I took out the braids my hair felt a lot fuller and thicker but I did experience a significant amount of shedding. As you guys know I'm taking part in the Summer Castor Oil Challenge which sees me applying my JBCO to my scalp at least 3 times a week for 3 months. I'm a month and a half in and my selected days are Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays + a cheeky bonus day if I feel my scalp can handle it. I have to be honest and say that the week before I took out my braids (and this week too) I haven't been on my A game with the challenge and missed a few days, but I'll make up for it... somehow.

So I wore my hair out for a week before putting it into the marley twists/ kinky twists which I spoke about here. Boy, do I have a lot to say about them! A post all about my marley/kinky twists experience so far shall be with you shortly. So for the week I had my hair out I literally wore my hair in one style (Inspired by Yolandaas of Pink and Leopard Prints). This is the only picture I managed to take. It was my go to style, and I got a few compliments on it at work :) not to mention a few confused stares too lol. My colleagues are not au fait with the concept of extensions.

I'm glad to say that at 12 months post I haven't had many struggles with my hair, well none to write home about. Aloe Vera juice is still my best friend. I've held back from using it as my moisturiser for a little while and have retreated back to my beloved S-Curl. But the AVJ still has my back when/if things get messy i.e with detangling.

So I made it to 12 months post and some of you may be wondering what's next? In terms of the big chop, I'm still going to hang on for a little longer. I have had the urge (especially in the week I had my hair out) to BC, but after a big hit with the reality stick I've decided not to do it just yet. I think when I'm ready I'll know, but I have a strong feeling I'll probably end up doing it before the two year mark.
And speaking of the big chop, two of my blogging transitioning buddies recently did theirs. Yolandaas and Alicia. Go check them out if you haven't already and show them some love!
And if you've recently BC'd feel free to share your experience down in the comments or leave a link to your blog! :)

I'll catch you all later. I hate these prolonged absenses from blogging!
Take Care

10 comments:

  1. Congrats on making it to 12 months! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo well done.. U have got loooads of new growth.. Cant wait to see the review on the heating cap (feel free to leave the link in my blog when u have blogged about it).. Was really enjoying this posts and thinking about what i was gonna comment when i saw that u kindly mentioned and linked me twice, thanks hun! :) xx and lol i was thinking wow ur flat twist is so much nicer than mine! Do u feel like JBCO is better than normal castor oil? X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :)
      And it's no problem!
      I've only ever tried the KTC castor oil which was quite good, but I don't know if I fully trust the brand. In my experience the jbco is miles better as I've seen results a lot faster. Doesn't have the nicest smell but my hair seems to like it.
      Have you used castor oil before?
      x

      Delete
  3. So I'm late.. Haven't read a blog in ages.. and then had sooo many to read that I got too stressed out to even start. lol
    Your 12 months update made me wish I had the patience to wait. sigh!
    You're doing really well. Like you say you will definitely know when it's time, you will wake up and just have the urge. Well I did. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you feel lol i'm so behind on my blogs.
      Your hair looks great though! In the same way you wish you had the patience, I wish could be more decisive haha x

      Delete
  4. cant wait to start showing off my new growth. am so new to the natural hair community. great job growing ur new growth and maintain ur hair length
    ezechimereuchenna.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw thank you. Im off to check out your blog now :)

      Delete

Hey guys! Thank you in advance for your comments and feedback :) I always reply, so be sure to check back regularly for my responses :) Take Care.x

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...