Wednesday, 20 March 2013

Transition | 9 Months post

Heyy guys!
I'm sure you guys have heard by now that Google reader will be shutting down on 1st July. Thankfully there's Bloglovin'! You can follow my blog via Bloglovin' here (if you want to).
So, I officially made it to 9 months post (36 weeks) on the 5th and so here is my update!
I'll start off by saying that my transition is going well. You'll be glad to know I have no plans to give up :). I actually had a temporary urge to big chop and just wear braids on and off until I got to a length I was comfortable with. I haven't fully dismissed this idea, but i'll stick to the transition for now. However, in my last transition update I forgot to mention that I have cut a few of my relaxed strands, and by a few I mean one or two. The relaxed end was so thin, like a piece of string so I thought why not! I cut one at the back near my nape and one at the near my hairline. If I do come across another string- like relaxed end then I'll probably just cut it, but I just hope I don't get too carried away lol.

This month I decided to discontinue the use of my KTC brand of Pure Coconut oil, and I am now using Holland & Barrett's Pure Organic Coconut oil. I chose to do this as the KTC one doesn't smell anything like coconuts, which made me slightly skeptical of how 'pure' it claims to be. The H&B one smells like the real deal, and I know I'm not being 'cheated' since H&B is a health store. By the by, they're currently doing a buy1get1halfprice deal so go check it out here, if you're interested. I'm liking this coconut oil a lot. Both my new growth and relaxed hair have been feeling a lot softer.
Speaking of oils.. I haven't touched my Jamaican Black Castor Oil (JBCO) at all this month, which is so unlike me. I usually use it as a sealant on my wash days, and I also applied it to my edges daily at one point. I'm thinking of doing another castor oil challenge soon though since its been a while. I always miss the official challenges on Hairlista and other websites lol but I may do my own challenge, like last time. You guys are free to join me too!

If you read my last post (here) then you'll know that I started using an Aloe Vera juice mix on my hair. Most days I've actually used it as my moisturiser. My new growth absolutely loves it. As it's just a spritz, it doesn't leave my hair soaking wet, it dries really quickly and softens my new growth. This means that detangling and combing my hair has been much easier. My comb will literally glide through my new growth with ease, so Aloe Vera juice has been a great find for this month. If you were wondering, I add about one third of Aloe Vera juice and two-thirds of water to a spray bottle. I store mine in the fridge, and shake it up before using it.

My favourite hairstyle for this month has to be braidouts. I've been doing them a lot more the past two weeks. I'll be doing a post soon to show you the pattern I use and 'How I style' etc. 
Next week I shall be putting my hair back in braids in time for my birthday on the 29th, as I'm going to New York (eek, so excited!) and I don't want to deal with my hair whilst I'm there. Plus I miss my braids, I do!
Sidenote: If you've been to/ live in New York please leave some recommendations of places I should visit. This'll be my first visit and want to make the most of it!

In the meantime I thought I'd show you guys some new growth snaps, since it's been a while since I did. The picture above shows a comparison of the amount of new growth I had back in October at 4 months post and now at 9 months. I can see a real difference. What do you guys think? And the pictures on the left are random, little twists. My new growth twisted reaches the bottom of my ear! It's growing y'all :)

I think that's all for my update this month. Hope you're all okay!
How's your hair doing this month?

17 comments:

  1. I can totally see the difference! I'm getting a sewin so I'm going to invest in different oils! Gonna have to try...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right. Taking photos has been so helpful.
      Ooo cool! What oils are you planning to use?
      x

      Delete
  2. Great growth!!!! I'm going to bc soon. Check my new post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.
      Oo are you! I'll check it out now x

      Delete
  3. Nice update.. I think I will try some of that aloe vera juice and just spritz it to my hair before combing.

    Nyc- I have been.. Go to the top of the rock at Rockefeller instead of empire state you get a better view of NYC from the top of the rock that empire.
    Visit meat packing district there is an old subway line which has been turned into a walk way and that's cool.
    Apart from that just enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeaa deffo give it a try. Hope it works for you!
      Thank you SO much for the recommendations! I still want to visit the empire state building so i'm going to try and squeeze in both :)
      x

      Delete
  4. Your hair has grown so much! I'm considering transitioning so I'm glad that I found your blog. HHJ!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and I can't wait to see your braid out method. That's one of my favorite styles and I'm always looking for ways to improve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh thank you! :) I shall hopefully have that post out soon.
      HHJ to you too! Do you have a blog?
      x

      Delete
  6. Great progress!
    So weird, I was just thinking of buying a new coconut oil too because I heard that the KTC one goes off after a while and isn't really pure. I think I will take advantage of the Holland & Barrett offer and try their one instead! x

    www.perfectlyrandomblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :)
      Yeaa i've heard a few bad things about it recently. Definitely prefer the H&B one.
      Go for it. I think they're doing the offer until April :)
      x

      Delete
  7. I just bought a new cold pressed coconut oil too, i usually have both as the ktc one is really cheap and although it might not have the same nutritional values (as it isnt cold pressed), its still as good for moisturising hair. :) i also heard (as akilah) that it goes off, but i dont know who started the rumour but its not true, ive re purchased it several times and ive used the massive 500 ml for months til it finished, without it going off, maybe the person it happened to put their hands in the jar while wet or something :) and ur new grow looks great! How long are u planning on transitioning? Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeaa the ktc one is really cheap, that's what drew me to it. I've had mine for quite some time too and it didn't go off. I liked using it to seal my hair, but now I have a different brand i can tell that there's definitely a difference between the two.
      And, thank you! My plan is to transition for 2 years, or until I get to a comfortable length
      x

      Delete
  8. great post!! I did my transition nearly 4 years ago but I have returned to the perm :( hi dear! I just found your blog and I love it..would you be interested in following each other via GFC and Bloglovin?
    let me know I always return the follow
    http://signaturechic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oo did u
      Thank you, i'll check out your blog :)

      Delete
  9. Major growth! Looks great, I love using coconut oil for my hair and I think it's contributed a lot to my growth(: Lovely blog.

    xo Autumn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Glad you like it too, it's definitely one of my fave oils :)

      Delete

Hey guys! Thank you in advance for your comments and feedback :) I always reply, so be sure to check back regularly for my responses :) Take Care.x

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...