Tuesday, 5 March 2013

DIY | Kente Hair Bows


Heyy guys!
Lately I've really been getting into DIYs and all things money-saving. Forgive me for posting two DIYs back to back. With it being Ghana independence day tomorrow i thought i'd make some Ghana inspired hair bows using some Kente cloth. Kente is not cheap, but luckily my Mum had some spare bits left over from a dress that was made for her, and she surprisingly let me use it. Now, some may say this (making your own hair accessories) is cheap but hey, i say its resourceful! lol.
To make the hair bows i used: Kente cloth obviously, bobby pins, fabric glue, a pencil, scissors and a tape measure (yes i used an Ikea tape measure... don't judge me lol). I cut out a strip of cloth (11.5" by 3.5"), folded the borders and glued it with fabric glue. I don't know if any of you have used fabric glue before, and maybe it was just me, but it is sticky as hell! I know you're thinking, well duh, its glue, but this particular glue even sunk through the fabric leaving cobwebs of glue on my finger tips. T'was messy! A glue gun would've been more practical, but since i don't own one i had to make do.
After i finally managed to glue the sides down, I folded the ends of the strip to meet in the middle and sealed it with the glue. To get the bow 'ruffles', i pinched the middle and adjusted to get a nice, somewhat even pattern. To hold it in place i applied glue in the center where the fabric met. Another thing with this glue is that you have to press it down for 5 minutes in order for it to stick and stay stuck. As i can get slightly impatient i decided to improvise and use a peg to hold it for me, whilst i prepared the next bit. Impatient=lazy.
So whilst the glue was drying i cut out a 1.5" strip of fabric, which would act as the middle part of the bow and also the holder for my bobby pin. As with the 11.5 x 3.5 inch strip, i folded and glued each side. Once the body of the bow was dry i began to wrap the thinner strip around middle of the bow. I then glued it down and cut off the excess. Now here's where the 'cheapness' comes in lol. I slid in a bobby pin at the back to use to attach the bow to my hair. It may look better to use one of those metal clips but metal and my hair don't bode well. Plus, you can't actually see it anyway and the bobby pin had a good enough grip for me.

Since writing this I've made 4 bows now. I most probably will make more; i'm thinking of attaching a hair band instead of a bobby pin to switch it up a bit.

I recorded this whole process and I may upload it soon if it's something you'd like to see.
But for now, Happy Independence to my fellow Ghanaians!
Take Care.

6 comments:

  1. nice idea! thank for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great DIY, :) how is your transitioning going? Im about to post a length check soon (10 months post), hope to see one from u soon xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)
      It's going good thanks, haven't given up yet! Ah cool, looking forward to reading it :)
      I made it to 9 months post this week. I'm in the middle of drafting my update post so it should be up next week, hopefully!
      x

      Delete
  3. These are so cute! :) x

    www.perfectlyrandomblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hey guys! Thank you in advance for your comments and feedback :) I always reply, so be sure to check back regularly for my responses :) Take Care.x

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...