Tuesday, 12 February 2013

My Braid Take Down Regimen (Updated)

Heyy guys!
So i finally took out my braids last week after 9.5 good, long weeks of having them in, and so i thought i'd share how i treated my hair afterwards. It's significantly different to my old take down regimen from last year, which you can view here.

I started by unravelling each braid individually, adding my leave in conditioner to my hair to help with detangling.
The next day i washed my hair with a clarifying shampoo to get rid of all the product buildup. My clarifying shampoo of choice was ORS' Creamy Aloe Shampoo. I decided to follow up with a protein treatment as i hadn't done one for about 3 months. I mixed 3 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil to around 3 heaved spoonfuls of ORS's Hair Mayonnaise and applied to mixture to my hair. I covered my hair with a plastic cap for around 30 minutes, then retreated back to the shower to rinse it out. I finished it off with a deep condition for around 1hr 30mins. My deep conditioner of choice was Beautiful Textures Rapid Repair Deep Conditioner (a full review of it will be coming soon). So after an hour and 30 minutes was up it was back in the shower for a third time to rinse it out. I then carried on with my normal air-drying routine. It was a long day which resulted in me getting a pounding headache and tired arms :(

It may seem like a bit much to clarify my hair and do a protein treatment on the same day, but it's perfectly fine to do, and as i said, i was due a protein treatment so i thought why not. One thing to bear in mind though is that you have to double up on moisture (this is something i had to learn the hard way) as the clarifying shampoo is very drying, as is the hair mayonnaise which also makes my hair slightly hard due to the protein. Even after deep conditioning my hair still felt slightly dry and so i had to moisturise, moisturise and moisturise to fix this. At any chance i got i moisturised and baggy'd my hair. It took around a week to correct this problem, and thankfully my hair is back to normal now.

Another thing that i had to learn the hard way is that i now have to wash my hair in sections. Yes, the time has come where i can no longer wash my hair freely like in the adverts lol. I say i learnt this the hard way as when i clarified my hair it was tangle city! I'm now 8 months post (woohoo!) and the last time i washed my hair 'freely' was when i was 5 months post. I now have considerably more new growth and so washing my hair is not as easy. So when i did the protein treatment and the deep condition i applied the mixtures to sections which made rinsing it out a lot easier.

So that's my take down regimen.  Feels good to see my hair again! My 8 months post update shall be with you soon. 
'Got a lot to fill you in on! :)
Take Care.

2 comments:

  1. This is a very useful post for me as taking out my braids is a nightmare - tangles galore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, glad you found it helpful :) x

      Delete

Hey guys! Thank you in advance for your comments and feedback :) I always reply, so be sure to check back regularly for my responses :) Take Care.x

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...