Wednesday, 20 February 2013

Let's twist again, like we did last summer...

Hey guys!
Although it's a play on lyrics (it's an oldie, YouTube it), the last time i actually did a twist out pre-braids was probably was last summer. Since i've been wearing my hair like this a lot since taking out my braids I thought i'd share with you how i do my twistout!

After my airdrying routine i flat-twist 5 sections of my hair; 2 flat twists across my hairline from my parting to my ear and 3 flat twists going straight back. I learnt how to flat twist on, you guessed it, YouTube. I actually find flat- twisting much easier to do than your standard cornrow. Mine are not perfect, but that doesn't matter to me as i still get my desired look when i take them out. 
I lightly spritz my hair with water so that my hair will dry with the twist. I always set each flat twist with my foam rollers to make sure that my ends curled also. I put on my satin scarf and trot off to bed.
Sometimes i roll up to my ear as shown in the left pic,
or i will  just do a slight curl

The next day i take out the twists one at a time with a little coconut oil, to tame any frizz.I also switch the direction of my parting. I found that doing this makes it look a bit more natural and the pattern of the twists more uniform. If my hair feels dry once I've taken out the flat- twist (which does happen occasionally) then I like to spritz it with a mix of conditioner and water. 'Works a treat!

If i find that by the end of the day, the twist out has lost its oomph then ill retwist in the pattern i explained above. If i feel that my flat-twist out could last another day then i will moisturise as normal before bed, do one loose twist and put on my satin scarf.

So that's my flat-twist out! Feel free to share how you do yours!
Take Care.

8 comments:

  1. Looks great.. I just learning to flat twist so im not sure i could even do this l.. And i was thinking it looks like its done on straightened hair, but from reading the post below i saw that u did actually straighten it? Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank youu. Just keep practicing and i'm sure you'll be able to do it :)
      Nah this one was done on freshly washed hair, but yes i did straighten it a few weeks ago.
      x

      Delete
  2. I've tried SO many times to do this but it never worked the way u wanted! I tried it this way last night though and i loved it! Flat twist out is defo more effective than like single twist out/braids kinda thing. Thanks for sharing!
    Also i added a bit of gel to each strand before twisting out which helped give it some extra hold :) saadiya x

    www.thatgirlsaadiya.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh cool, i'm glad it worked out for you! :)
      I agree, i much prefer flat-twisting/ cornrowing to achieve my twistout/ braidout. It leaves a nicer pattern.
      No problem. Thanks for your tip too! I'll have to try it some time :)
      x

      Delete
  3. So far I've only tried 'two strand twists' which I then bandu knot. Previously on my relaxed hair I did cornrows in between salon time and that generally came out okay, except I didn't know the trick of rollers or rods at the end at the time. But with bandu knots the ends are wrapped round, so I get a curl pretty much to the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeaa i like using the rollers at the end otherwise my hair would be wavy/ curly from the flat twist and my ends would be straight, which ruins the pattern :/
      x

      Delete

Hey guys! Thank you in advance for your comments and feedback :) I always reply, so be sure to check back regularly for my responses :) Take Care.x

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...