Saturday, 23 February 2013

DIY Deep Condition | Banana Hair Mask

Heyy guys!
Thought i'd share with you a DIY deep conditioner i tried out last week. I've mentioned in some of my previous posts that i really wanted to get back into DIY hair treatments so i'm starting off with this yummy banana hair mask. Of course, i didn't eat it lol.

Ingredients:
1 Banana (peeled)
2 tbsp honey
1 1/2 tbsp Coconut oil (You could also you Olive or Jojoba Oil)
Water

Bananas are rich in natural oils so it helps soften and shine the hair as well as control dandruff and frizz. Bananas are also high in B vitamins, Iron and Potassium.
I started off by mashing the banana in a separate bowl beforehand as i wasn't sure if the blender i was using would be strong enough. I then put the mashed bananas into the blender and followed by adding the honey, coconut oil and water. I mixed it in the blender until it was of the texture of a smooth puree. I had to do some additional mixing outside of the blender as there were still a few minor lumps... rubbish mini blender. I then applied it to my hair and covered with a plastic cap and turban for 30 minutes. When the 30 mins were up, I rinsed it out and proceeded to shampoo-wash my hair.

I liked the end results. My hair felt very soft. The smell of bananas didn't linger afterwards, but that may have been because i shampooed afterwards.
It took quite a while to get a smooth mixture. Even after all the effort, i did get a few banana bits stuck in my hair. It was a good thing i chose to shampoo afterwards as luckily this helped remove them. I think that next time I will probably use a riper banana. I read that banana baby food is also a good alternative so i may think about purchasing that next time to decrease preparation time and the potential lumps. I think that melting the coconut oil beforehand may also help me next time.
Next i may add avocados to infuse some protein into the treatment.

If any of you decide to give this a try then let me know how it went for you!
Take Care.

4 comments:

  1. this mask seems nice, i think banana already contein proteins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh really? It must be really mild as this was so moisturising
      x

      Delete
  2. Love your blog!
    http://golddustk.blogspot.co.uk/
    x

    ReplyDelete

Hey guys! Thank you in advance for your comments and feedback :) I always reply, so be sure to check back regularly for my responses :) Take Care.x

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...