Saturday, 19 January 2013

Braids | My Do's and Don't's

Heyy guys!
My time with my braids is slowly coming to an end and so I thought i'd share with you my do's and don't's when wearing braids.
To avoid potential upset and/or disagreements I must say that everything stated is my own opinion, and all tips given are generated from my own experiences. Here goes...

DON'T install your braids too tightly. If you are getting them done at the salon then don't be afraid to let your hairdresser know if it's too tight.
DON'T pull too hard on your extensions when styling. The tension could lead to breakage and/ or balding, and we don't want that!
DON'T install long, lengthy braids if your real hair cannot take the weight. Box braids be heavy, especially when wet!
DON'T forget about caring for your real hair. Be sure to keep your hair and scalp moisturised.
DO re-do the braids at your hairline every 3 or so weeks depending on how long you intend to keep them in.
DON'T over- wash your hair whilst its in braids as it may not last as long (this is something I've learnt from past experiences).
DO continue to wear a satin/ silk scarf to bed to protect your hair
DO try out different everyday hairstyles. Braids are only temporary so have fun with them!
Speaking of hairstyles... I shall hopefully be showing my braided hairstyles in a few post's time.

I Hope this helped at least one person reading this! You can have a nose around all of my braid- related posts here
Feel free to share your Do's and Don't's when wearing braids.
Take Care.

8 comments:

  1. awesome advices.. I had to learn these the hard way lol.. But yeah the damages could have been worse espacially on the hairline..
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Same here, i didn't really have anyone to tell me back in the day.
      No problem, thanks for reading! :)
      x

      Delete
  2. hey! hope you're fine, me too i actally have box braids! as the scalp is easily reachable, i use to massage it with castor oil to get some hair growth while wearing my braids ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, I'm good thanks!
      Ooo cool :) that's what i do too. 'Helps a lot!
      x

      Delete
  3. Great advice.. as you know I am transitioning (9 months post today woo) and I really want to braid my hair/full weave or something like that.. but i dont know a good salon, and i'd hate if someone didnt handle my hair right & pulled it too tight.. i hate that! oh, i've pinned this to my "natural hair" board on pinterest :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on making it 9 months post! :)
      I know what you mean. I've started to do all my hair care/ styling at home now, haven't visited the salon since my last relaxer.
      Aw thank you, that's nice of you! I really need to get pinterest lol
      x

      Delete
  4. Very nice tips! I'm currently having braids, and apply some of them already, but I sure would follow the other advices :)
    xx
    Dee-VineAnonyme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Just visited your blog, your braids look lovely! :)
      x

      Delete

Hey guys! Thank you in advance for your comments and feedback :) I always reply, so be sure to check back regularly for my responses :) Take Care.x

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...