Tuesday, 4 December 2012

Braids!

Heyy guys!
It's always around this time of the year that I put my hair away to protect it from this awful weather, plus I wanted a bit of a change, and so I got braids! :D As you know last year I got senegalese twists but I thought this year I'd do your regular 'box braids' as they're known. 

I did the braids myself and I've got to say I'm actually very proud of myself lol. It took me quite a while to learn how to do them but I'm glad I got the hang of it eventually as I was able to save myself 60/ 70 odd £s I would've had to pay had I gone to the salon.
If you are interested in doing your own braids but have no idea where to start I would suggest looking at these two YouTube videos which I personally found extremely helpful: BlackWomenHair  and WomanInTheJungle. In the end I used the method from the tutorial by WomanInTheJungle.

I used 2 (and a bit) packs of Xpressions Jumbo braid hair in colour 1b. The hair is 82" long and so I cut it into 3 equal pieces. As I'm quite short, the hair (un-plaited) came up to bra strap-ish length. When I was done plaiting, I sealed the ends with boiling hot water to ensure it wouldn't unravel.
I hope to keep these in for 2 months but I'm missing my hair already so I may be tempted to take them out sooner lol. In my next post I'll be sure to share with you my hair care routine for these braids and other little maintenance tips :)

So have any of you tried braiding yourself? If so, how did it go? Also, feel free to share any of your personal tips for protective styling in the comments below.
Take Care.

8 comments:

  1. oh! i'm so proud of you! you did it yourself! maybe i will try it one day when my hair will get longer because even for my twist on my TWA it was not so easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol aw thank you! You should definitely try it! It took so long but I saved myself so much money
      x

      Delete
  2. your braids look lovely, I wish braids looked good on mne :)
    I'm doing a giveaway on my blog, hope you check it out!

    Adaora x

    http://fashionxfades.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)
      Oh ok, I'll check it out
      x

      Delete
  3. your braids are lovely.....got my hair in braids at the moment as well.

    apart from sitting down to put the braids in and sitting down to take the braids out, braids are great lol!

    www.thatgoodgirlchi.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) oo cool!
      Lol tell me about it. I can only do it when I know I have nothing else planned during the day lol
      x

      Delete

Hey guys! Thank you in advance for your comments and feedback :) I always reply, so be sure to check back regularly for my responses :) Take Care.x

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...