Friday, 14 December 2012

Braids| Maintenance pt.2 + Review

Heyy guys!
Here's part 2 of how I maintain my braids and my real hair. Like I said in part 1, the only differences between my normal hair regimen and my braids regimen are the methods used and the regularity.

So, every other week, on a Sunday, I wash and deep condition my hair as usual using my Elasta QP Creme Conditioning shampoo (which you guys know i looove) and any deep conditioner I have around me at the time (at the moment I'm going through the process of finding a new DC). For the week in between, I will just co-wash. Last year with my Senegalese twists I would co-wash one week and shampoo the next week, however this time around I wanted to give dry shampoo a try. This is the first time I have used a dry shampoo. I've always been interested in how you could possibly clean your hair without water. 

In the October/ November issue of Black Beauty and Hair magazine, they recommended Organic Root Stimulator's Herbal Cleanse Dry Shampoo as a good, inexpensive product to use for keeping your scalp clean whilst it's in braids.


So, before I considered buying it I obviously did my research to check it had none of the bad stuff I'm trying to stay away from. Also I was interested in reading its reviews. So after all the research I decided to go ahead and buy it. It was £2.69 from Paks (8 FL.Oz/ 237 ml).

Ingredients: SD Alcohol 39-c, Aqua (Water), Glycerin, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) oil, Ocimum Basilicum (Basil) oil, Alow Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Wheat Amino Acids, Urtica Dioica (Nettele) Extract, Cola Nitda (Kola Nut) Extract, Tetrahydroxypropyl Ethylenediamine, Carbomer, Trichlosan, CI 17200 (Red #33), CII 42090 (Blue #1).
As you can see from the ingredients list above, it does contain Alcohol. It's in fact the first ingredient, so if you are on an alcohol- free hair care regimen this may not be the product for you.

ORS Herbal Cleanse Dry Shampoo claims to '... keep your hair and scalp refreshed in between regular shampoos' .
ORS say that this product is 'perfect for: maintaining braids and other natural styles, starting locks and bedridden patients'.

So as it was my first time using a dry shampoo I went exactly by the instructions. Basically, I applied it directly to my hair and massaged it in. I then let it sit for one minute and then removed the residue with a warm damp towel. I haven't used a towel on my hair for who- knows- how- long. I'm not really of fan of that.  Now looking back, I think that using an old T-shirt would have been just as good.

In terms of the consistency of the product, it reminds me slightly of a light gel. It's exactly the consistency of hand sanitiser gel. In fact, I guess it works in the same way the hand sanitiser does.When it was on my scalp it did start to tingle slightly. And when I rubbed some of my finger tips it also tingled and dissolved away. In terms of the smell, it smells strongly of lavender. I read a review where the person went on and on about how good it smelt, but to be honest its not to my taste. 

My verdict
I think it does do what it claims to do. My hair/ scalp did feel fresh and clean as if I'd just shampoo- washed it. The smell is slightly over-powering. It reminds me of Vicks Vaporub, the rub you put on your chest when you have a cold/ flu lol. After a while the smell began to irritate me slightly as it was so strong.
I think this product is good for use in between your wash days, or after a work out etc. I probably would use it again as I like the idea of shampoo'ing without having to use water BUT it would be nice if they had toned down the aroma a little.

So just to summarise, I shampoo-wash my scalp one week and co-wash the next week (Typically on Sundays). Afterwards, I apply my leave-in conditioner and moisturise and seal as normal. I have only used the dry shampoo twice since I bought it.

So have any of you tried this or any other dry shampoo?
In other news, I reached 6 months post relaxer as of Tuesday (11th)! Yay! My Transition Update post will be coming soon!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hey guys! Thank you in advance for your comments and feedback :) I always reply, so be sure to check back regularly for my responses :) Take Care.x

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...