Tuesday, 20 December 2011

My Braid Take Down Regimen


Hey! :)
So this is a quickish post that'll explain what i did when i took out my senegalese twists for anyone who may be interested. So, when i was younger and it came to taking down my braids i would wash my hair with shampoo only and then relax like the day after, and that was it :/
But since joining hairlista and reading tonnes and tonnes of hair blogs i changed my braid take down regimen, and from the results it was definitely for the better!

So firstly i took out the braids as normal and detangled my hair as i went along. It took about 7 hours to complete as i'm quite slow at it lol and watching tv whilst doing it slowed me down even more.
Once all of the braids had been taken out i pre-poo'ed my hair with Jamaican Black Castor Oil. Pre-poo is such a strange term lol but it basically is the 'act' of preparing your hair before you wash it. Many do this with an oil. I chose JBCO. I just applied it to my hairline, nape (back of my neck), massaged it slightly into my scalp and applied it to my ends.
As it was really late i decided to pre-poo overnight and so i just wrapped my hair in my silk scarf and went to sleep. In the morning i washed my hair with my fav shampoo at the moment: Elasta QP Shampoo for Relaxed Hair.

Next i air- dried my hair until it was about 80% dry and then detangled my hair (from ends to roots) and applied my deep conditioner. The conditioner i use is Elasta QP Intense Fortifying Hair Conditioning Treatment. I added 2 tablespoons of JBCO to this to create my DC mix. I applied this to my hair as i would my relaxer. I parted my hair into 4 sections and sectioned each section and applied a generous amount of the DC mix. When finished, i twisted each section and covered with a plastic cap. To keep the heat in, i wrapped my towel around my head also. Then i proceeded to do my own thing, watched a bit of tv etc etc for 1 hour and then rinsed it out of my hair.
After this i then went on to air dry again, and detangled when my hair was somewhat dry.
My hair was soo soft at this point, and felt less lifeless.
Finally i moisturised my hair with Elasta QP's Recovery Anti- breakage Moisturiser and sealed my hair with Coconut Oil, focusing specifically on my ends. You can also apply a leave-in conditioner at this point, but i just chose not to.
After this i wrapped my hair and went to sleep :)

The next day (which was yesterday) i got my hair relaxed :/ I was doing so well then hit a stumble by relaxing too early. Anyway a relaxer update shall be coming to you shortly!

So do any of you have a regimen you stick by when taking down your braids, or any other protective style?

4 comments:

Hey guys! Thank you in advance for your comments and feedback :) I always reply, so be sure to check back regularly for my responses :) Take Care.x

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...